You are not alone, but help is available from LinuxIT. Moving over from end-of-life or ‘legacy systems’ can be a headache; as well as disruptive and costly if done incorrectly.
Migration projects involve making sure that all of your stakeholders understand your initiative and why there is a need to move from one system to another. This also involves:
- Implementing a well thought out plan that’s based on the business case
- Establishing clearly defined goals and objectives
- The creation of stakeholder advocacy through a proof of concept project
- A well-designed target environment
- A discussion about what the deliverables are in terms of what you are expected to get out of the project
- Reviewing and measuring these deliverables against your goals and objectives
Find out more about how to move from UNIX to Linux easily and without any problems by downloading ‘Open Source surgery: Migrating from UNIX to Linux’.